Tuesday 5 August 2014

INTERVIEW: His New Atlas

His New Atlas - His Young
You may have heard the name His New Atlas before; the nom de plume of Armagh singer-songwriter Eoghan O’Hagan. I believe he is on the cusp and more than highly capable of breaking free from the dense bubble which shelters the Northern Irish music scene from the rest of the world. I was lucky enough to catch up with Eoghan to discuss EPs, secret garden shows and how, despite his latest single being reported inappropriate, he is stronger and more determined to get his music heard than ever before. 

T: Firstly, who are you?

E: Hi. I am His New Atlas, Eoghan O'Hagan. I am 19. That is about it...

T: So you've recently released a music video shot by Darren Lee of Maverick Renegade Productions for the stunning single 'His Young' - what was it like to work with one of the top music video directors in Ireland?

E: Darren is one of the nicest people you could work with/meet. I had him walk through a field filled with cows while carrying his very expensive gear which was funny to watch. I had a lot of fun shooting the video, he knew exactly what I wanted and just exceeded every expectation of mine. The man is amazing!

T: That’s awesome! I must ask though; the video had reached thousands of views within its first days of release, until someone reported it - why do you think someone would want to do that? Has the problem been resolved?

E: I released the video after gigging over Ireland and England, and I suppose I had people waiting for the new stuff to come out for a good bit, and put a lot of work into promoting it. I ended up with over 11,000 views in three days, which I am still proud off. It was then flagged for certain content that was then reviewed and didn't not violate the terms or conditions of Youtube, so the view was returned to Youtube, but stripped off all views, and the link. I received so much support from everyone, and I am so grateful for that because after it was taken down I didn't think anyone cared about me or my music, and now I know thanks to that person who reported that people do care, and everyone is out there to take care of each other. So I am grateful it was reported. Thanks man/woman! Check it out HERE.

T: That’s very inspiring! So, you've been doing a few gigs this summer to promote the new single and you have a few dates left - how has that being going so far?

E: Yeah I am just finishing of the "His Young" Irish tour this week. I was in Whelans, Dublin last night, I have a secret garden show in Belfast, then Rosin Dubh, Galway Sunday. It’s been great! Biggest Irish tour I have ever done. I’ve met some amazing people, and caught some mind blowing musicians.

T: So you're currently working on your new EP ‘Torn Out Lungs’ - when is it going to be released and what have you got planned for the rest of the year?

E: Torn out Lungs is officially done! I am actually writing for my next EP. But ‘Torn out Lungs’ is coming out Late August alongside another music video, a UK & Irish tour, and four live sessions in a church – ‘Church Sessions’.

T: Awesome! So for those who have never listened to your music, could you describe your sound?

E: I don't know; it’s really sad - not really positive. Just I suffer from a lot, and have my whole life and that is where the "sound" comes from I guess.

T: What would be your dream venue to play?

E: I would love to build a gigantic blanket fort, and have a billion tea lights everywhere. Shamefully that is a fire hazard.

T: Finally, how can people find you or get in touch?

E: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the 'His Young' video









No comments:

Post a Comment