Monday 14 April 2014

REVIEW: Serotonin - Gestures EP

Okay, this is my first review in a while, so excuse me if I’m a little rusty! Today I present to you the awesome Serotonin. With a genre that I can only describe as alternative indie-grunge, they are a young Belfast quintet with an average age of 17 who have recently released their debut EP - Gestures.


First track, and easily my favourite, “Cleanse Me” built on the foundations of a simply effective riff certainly leans itself towards the grungier side of this record. The vocals of frontwoman Lucy Loane hints towards a unique rebellion and remind me vaguely of an edgier Theresa Wayman of Warpaint singing “Love is to Die” and at times even Romily Alice of Japanese Voyeurs, although, she actually sounds nothing like these artists. But this is good; the band is truly unique in sound and stance. The words “Cleanse me, with savlon lips” ring lingeringly through the chorus and will be etched into your mind for days to come.

Exploring what I see to be the melodic-indie side to the band, “Cold Coffee” contains a beat that you’ll find programmed into your system under “tap your foot” or “bop your head”. This is where the infection really begins; it’s so pleasantly catchy. I can picture this song to soundtrack a movie set in suburban New York – I’m not quite sure why. It’s sweetly melodic, but the edge is still evidently there.

The daydream sequence of the melody in “Daytime TV” reveals a distinctive rawness with a sensual blend of chiming guitars and a pounding drum rhythm for an intro. The lilting vocals of Lucy Loane softly unravel “Paralysed in vivid dreams, your phantom limb screams...” and there’s something in the background: a simple melody on a xylophone to emphasise the wonderfully dream-like qualities of this song. It’s a peaceful track to drift in and out of consciousness to, I find.

Finally, “Idle Hands” also possesses some dreamlike qualities, just like its predecessor. However, in saying that there’s a lot of power in this song: In the vocals, in the guitars, the drums. It’s forceful and turbulent. The vocals, especially, are immense. There’s one particular piece of the song which makes you want to throw your fist into the air and start and revolution. Then that riff... Traditional, but completely unique in sound and structure. It really stands out and reminds me of an old 90s record. It makes me believe that, if they keep up the good work, Serotonin will certainly be taken far with their music.

It’s a solid piece of work; especially for a debut EP. If you’re in and around Belfast, I’m pretty sure you can pick up a physical copy of this in Head Records (either that or I was dreaming it?). If not, you can buy it on BANDCAMP. You really ought to. Like come on, even the artwork is fucking class!

No comments:

Post a Comment